SSFC chair calls for impeachment of Student Judiciary vice chief justice

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Matt Manes requested the impeachment of Vice Chief Justice Timothy Hogan of the Student Judiciary Wednesday.

""I believe … Hogan to have time and again demonstrated his incompetence and inability to preside effectively,"" Manes said in his formal request to Associated Students of Madison Chair Brandon Williams.

Manes said a recent judiciary ruling in favor of the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group and against the SSFC was ""the last straw.""

""The Student Judiciary,"" Manes said in his request, ""has been unable to grasp the issues at hand or their role in the process.""

According to Manes, the judiciary has repeatedly overstepped its role and has been ""unable to render a cohesive and correct judgment.""

""[Hogan] is at the center of this,"" Manes said, writing in his request that although other SJ members could take the blame for the accusations, he believes Hogan is the most culpable.

Manes said Hogan failed to record a hearing, becomes too invested in tangential arguments and does not ""grasp the issues"" presented during hearings.

As for SJ decisions under Hogan, Manes describes them as ""unworkable, short-sighted and incomplete.""

Although Hogan was unavailable for comment, SJ Chief Justice Kate Fifield said she doubts ASM will vote for impeachment.

Fifield said she understands Manes is ""really upset about the [WISPIRG] decision,"" but does not believe he has the grounds to impeach Hogan.

""The student constitution has three very specific requirements for impeachment,"" Fifield said. ""I think it's a far stretch at the very least to say that Hogan's actions or decisions constitute that.""

According to ASM constitutional bylaws, cause for impeachment is limited to neglect of duties, official misconduct or malfeasance of office.

Hogan will come before the Student Council April 11 to speak in his own defense.

A three-quarters vote in ASM is required to impeach Hogan.