SJ hears allegations against ASM rep

The UW-Madison Student Judiciary heard a complaint Thursday that newly elected Associated Students of Madison representative Leland Pan violated campaign rules prior to his election.

Freshman and former ASM candidate Sam Seering said Pan canvassed in his dorm, violating election and housing rules.

Pan said he did not deliberately canvass his dorm, but admitted to talking to friends and others nearby about his campaign while in his dorm, Friedrick Hall.

""In my opinion, it would seem rather absurd to consider me talking to my friends about something that I'm passionate about as a form of canvassing,"" Pan said.

Pan said he was unaware canvassing in dorms violated election rules.

Seering said he thought an appropriate punishment for the violation would be to refuse to allow Pan to serve as a representative on ASM.

Pan won by 109 votes, the equivalent of 16 individuals dedicating all their votes to him. Petitioners argued because of this, Pan's discussion in his dorm could have influenced the outcome of the election.

If Pan were refused his seat, Dan Shanahan, the candidate with the second-most votes, would fill it.

The SJ will come to a decision about the case within ten school days.