Phillips to undergo yet another knee procedure

A year ago, Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema entered the annual Spring Game knowing exactly who would start the regular season under center, and Scott Tolzien did not disappoint.

This season, that picture will be far more murky regardless, but the health of redshirt junior Curt Phillips—one of three main candidates for the starting job—continues to be a question.

Phillips tore his anterior cruciate ligament in March 2010 and suffered a setback in November, but was taking part in non-contact throwing drills this spring. Phillips did not practice Thursday, and amidst rumors that Phillips re-injured his right knee this week, Bielema said Phillips will undergo a procedure to ""clean some things up"" Friday, but stopped short of calling it a setback.

""It shouldn't be anything major, hopefully,"" Bielema said of the procedure, noting he hoped it would not affect the timetable for Phillips' return. ""He'll hopefully be back some time in June. We'll deal with the cards after they're there.""

Bielema said he was concerned about the recurring injuries, but also maintained confidence in Phillips.

""Curt's a pretty tough kid and as soon as he can go, he'll go,"" Bielema said.

Phillips has appeared in five career games since he came to Wisconsin in 2008 as a touted dual-threat quarterback.

He won Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year his senior year of high school and took a redshirt his first season on campus.

In 2009, he attempted 13 passes and rushed for 138 yards on 14 carries in five games. He did not appear in a game last season.