MIU awards $4 million in final round of grants to 19 departments

The Madison Initiative for Undergraduates granted $4 million to 19 projects Tuesday in its third and final round of funding. The funding includes grants for faculty, student service and academic support projects.

Provost Paul DeLuca Jr. said the MIU has made many differences in the academic life of students at UW-Madison.

""The positions and programs funded by MIU have loosened bottlenecks in high demand classes and majors, while also addressing important student service needs,"" DeLuca said in a statement.

Greg Downey, director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication which received MIU funding, sent an e-mail to undergraduates praising MIU and thanking the students for their great work in the school.

""These are tough and uncertain budget times at Wisconsin, but this MIU award demonstrates the university's unwavering commitment to its responsibility to train the next generation of mass communication professionals—and audiences—for the globalizing world of always-new media that we are building together,"" Downey said in the e-mail.

The following departments received grants:

School of Journalism and Mass Comm.;

Department of Political Science;School of Nursing, The Future of Care Project;

Department of Philosophy;

Department of French and Italian;

Department of English;

Teaching Academy, Madison Program for Teaching and Learning Excellence;

Department of Communication Arts;

Department of Mathematics;

Department of Sociology;

School of Education, Undergraduate Certificate in Education & Educational Studies, and,

College of Engineering, Campus-Wide Engagement of Undergrads in Society's Engineering Grand Challenges.

School of Education, Campus-wide Shared Advisor Notes System;

Department of Chemistry;

School of Education, Design Lab, a digital composition center;

Division of Student Life, Building BRIDGES Across Campus;

Division of Student Life, McBurney Disability Resource Center Transition Services Program, and,

Division of Enrollment Management, Common Scholarship Application.

—Scott Girard