Big Ten releases 2013, 2014 schedules

Two weeks out from the 2011 Spring Game, and it's already time to start looking ahead—two years ahead, as the Big Ten Conference Wednesday released the 2013 and 2014 football schedules.

After a two year hiatus, the Heartland Trophy will again be up for grabs as Wisconsin travels to Iowa Nov. 2, 2013. The Badgers will then host the Hawkeyes in week two of 2014.

Also worth noting, beginning in 2013, Big Ten teams will have two byes each season, extending the league calendar deeper than in previous years. Wisconsin will host Penn State Nov. 30, 2013 in the season finale, marking the latest home game in Madison since 1899.

By 2013, Badger fans should be pretty familiar with a Nittany Lion season finale. Wisconsin and Penn State will match up in conference finales for the next four years, beginning this season.

Additionally, for the first time since 1992, the Badgers will open up conference play against Ohio State when they travel to Columbus Sept. 28, 2013.

With the Big Ten's new divisions, which begin this season, the Badgers now play in the five-team Leaders Division. This means Wisconsin will play Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State and Purdue every season. The Badgers will play Minnesota each season as well as two other rotating Legends Division teams.

In 2013 and 2014, UW will play a home-and-home against Legends members Iowa and Northwestern.

As for Minnesota, Wisconsin fans better get used to a bitter rivalry in the bitter cold. The Badgers and Gophers will play in the Twin Cities Nov. 23, 2013 and in Madison Nov. 22, 2014.