With Capitol restricted, Democrats move outside

assembly: Democratic state representatives moved their offices onto the Capitol lawn Wednesday to protest restrictions on public access to the building. A court case on the issue is ongoing.

Democratic state representatives braved the cold weather Wednesday as they set up offices on the Capitol lawn to protest the strict rules meant to keep protesters from entering the building.

The Wisconsin Department of Administration has required anyone entering the Capitol to have a badge since Sunday, when protesters were supposed to be removed so the building could be cleaned. Citizens can get a badge from their legislators.

But State Rep. Kelda Helen Roys, D-Madison, said she has been denied access to the building, both with and without her legislator identification, and did not want to continue putting her constituents through that process.

"Tens of thousands of people have been denied entry to this building in the past several days, I'm one of them," Roys said. "I'm not standing for it anymore."

State Reps. Fred Clark, D-Baraboo, Cory Mason, D-Racine, Nick Milroy, D-South Range, and Roys were among the representatives who moved their offices outdoors.

Milroy said he moved his desk to hear from the people he represents, and criticized Republicans for not listening to Wisconsin residents.

"This is what democracy is about, listening to people," Milroy said. "There's a lot of representatives, specifically the Republicans, that simply aren't listening to their constituents, so we're out here doing it for them."

Dane County Circuit Court Judge Daniel Moeser ruled Tuesday the Capitol had to reopen after multiple unions sued the state and the Department of Administration. The state appealed the ruling, however, and Dane County Judge John Albert is hearing the case, which will resume at 1 p.m. Thursday.

Roys said she is not concerned about losing the case and is more upset about the Walker administration appealing Moeser's earlier ruling.

"I think it's just fundamentally un-democratic, not to mention illegal and in violation of a standing court order, to continue to lock out the citizens of the state and the public in general," Roys said. "I believe that very quickly, and I hope, this Capitol building will be back open."

Clark released a statement on the outdoor meetings, and said he plans to continue the effort to make sure his constituents' voices are heard.

"I will work outside every day if that is what it takes to continue to serve the people I represent," Clark said.