Republicans voice opposition to Walker's recycling overhaul

Several Republicans in the legislature are taking issue with Gov. Scott Walker's proposal to severely limit recycling programs in his biennial budget.

Walker's budget would de-fund local recycling programs and eliminate the mandate that requires municipalities to have recycling programs.

Democrats and environmental groups have come out in force against the measure, but state Sens. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, and Mike Ellis, R-Neenah, and state Reps. Robin Vos, R-Rochester, and John Nygren, R-Marinette, are joining Democrats in their criticism, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

""After meeting with my friends and neighbors back home, I have heard many concerns with the Governor's proposed elimination of funding for recycling programs,"" Nygren said in a statement. ""I believe it is important to restore this funding and require local governments to still provide this vital service to its taxpayers.""

The League of Wisconsin Municipalities praised the Republicans who came out against this provision, stressing the importance of a partnership between the state and local governments in order to make a steady recycling program a reality.

""Recycling is entrenched in Wisconsin's culture,"" the League said. ""Wisconsin municipal residents expect their municipalities to collect recyclable material. Even in the absence of a mandate to implement a recycling program, most municipalities will continue to provide such a service.""

Walker said in a statement cuts like this one to local governments will be beneficial, and ""overall counties, municipalities, school districts and other local governments will realize more savings than reductions in state aid.""