Martin discusses Badger Partnership details

At the second New Badger Partnership forum this month, Chancellor Biddy Martin answered questions and provided more specifics concerning the proposed public authority status for UW-Madison Tuesday.

She emphasized UW-Madison's increased flexibility from the public authority status, which would grant the university independence from the state.

""The forms of flexibility, budget authority and control over our destiny are extraordinarily important for this university,"" Martin said.

Currently, any new faculty renovation project costing more than $25,000 is required to go through a lengthy legislative process for approval.

Under the new system, the university would manage any project costing $500,000 or less, resulting in fewer steps for approval.

UW-Madison would also have the opportunity to pay higher salaries to faculty members who have reached their salary cap.

Under the current Board of Regents, UW-Madison cannot give salary raises to faculty unless every state employee receives pay raises.

Martin also emphasized the importance of increasing the amount of financial aid available to students.

""If there's anyone in this room more committed to financial aid and affordability than me, I'll be shocked,"" Martin said.  

Martin said the university would receive money to increase financial aid from UW-Madison supporters, especially alumni.

She said the university only asks a small proportion of the 400,000 UW-Madison alumni for donations, and her goal is to reach an increasing amount of potential donator.

Some attendees expressed concern about the deterioration of UW System schools following UW-Madison's split from the system.

Martin said each university offers unique programs, and attracts students based on location and diversity.

Furthermore, Martin said she plans to enhance relationships with other UW System schools.

Martin also described how UW-Madison would benefit from the new 21-member board of trustees.

She said the current Board of Regents includes only two students from the UW System, and the new board would include 17 members directly affiliated with UW-Madison as students, faculty or alumni.

Some in attendance were suspicious of the board, worrying a majority selected by Gov. Walker would not serve UW-Madison's needs.

""This is a structure that I think can be trusted,"" Martin said.  ""I think it's a structure that will be more beneficial to UW-Madison than a completely political board, which the Board of Regents is.""