Common council approves multiple labor agreements

Madison's Common Council voted in favoring of approving multiple labor agreements that will extend into 2014 on Tuesday.

Council members adopted agreements for several organizations, including the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).

Ald. Mike Schumacher, District 18, previously voted in favor of union contracts approved at the end of February, but did not vote in favor of these contracts.

Schumacher said he is concerned about the city locking into a contract for four years before knowing what the budget will look like.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz disagreed with Schumacher.

""It is beyond me how anyone could vote for the previous extensions but not these,"" Cieslewicz said.

Council members also referred a resolution to be taken up at the next Common Council meeting on March 24.

The resolution would support a wage increase in the last pay period of 2013 and establish a policy to avoid layoffs for non-represented employees. This would be the same agreement the city previously made for a number of city unions.

A resolution only shows the council members support and differs from an ordinance.

Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 15, said a referral would give the council time to come up with a solution and sort out any misunderstandings.

""I very sincerely care about making sure that we are treating all our employees equally and equally showing our commitment to our employees,"" Rhodes-Conway said.

Rhodes-Conway also said the resolution does not address employee paycuts.

However, Schumacher said the resolution is fiscally impractical.

""There are a lot of people that live here and can't afford more and more, but we're sitting here saying we're just going to give more,"" Schumacher said.