City council candidates discuss downtown entertainment, budget

council: Candidates for Madison Common Council voiced their plans to improve the city of Madison at a forum Thursday at Wisconsin Lutheran Church.

Candidates for the Madison Common Council gathered at the Wisconsin Lutheran Church Thursday to engage in a forum discussing ways to improve the city of Madison.

In District 8, which covers much of the UW campus, UW-Madison student and former Daily Cardinal columnist Kyle Szarzynski and UW-Madison alumnus Scott Resnick are competing to replace Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8. UW-Madison student Sam Stevenson challenges incumbent Bridget Maniaci in the race for District 2.

Candidates at the forum discussed ways to improve the downtown area, and candidates agreed the city must balance the needs of both downtown residents and visitors who come to the downtown area for entertainment.

Several candidates said the city needs to improve entertainment and nightlife culture for students under the age of 21 in Madison.

""I think we need to target students of the young ages that can't go to the bars,"" Stevenson said. ""Issuing more licenses for 18-plus shows is a good place to start.""

Szarzynski said he believes the issue of underage drinking in Madison needs to be handled with a realistic approach.

""The reality is, practices like bar raids don't prevent underage drinking, they simply force people of this younger population into a different and more dangerous house party scene,"" Szarzynski said. ""There obviously needs to be more options for people of this age group.""

Concerning the changes in the Wisconsin budget, candidates discussed plans to increase revenues or decrease services in their districts to fill the future monetary gap.

""We are getting pushed and pulled from every direction without a lot of options on the table,"" Maniaci said. ""I, and many of my fellow alders, have decided to begin our budget processes in about a month and we really need the voices of our constituents in that process.""    

District 8 candidate Szarzynski said a referendum in response to the proposed budget cuts would be beneficial.

""Offering a referendum to increase the tax levy in order to cover this difference will probably be a necessary thing,"" Szarzynski said. ""I'm fairly certain the residents of District 8 would be in support of something like that.""

Unfortunately, District 8 candidate Resnick was not able to attend the forum due to a recent death in the family. He said he encourages people to look at his plans and policies on his website, resnickfordistrict8.com, for his platform.