City Council approves final labor agreement for library workers

Brothers: The Alcohol Density License Plan received an extension until July 5 in order for city officials to have additional time to propose changes to the plan.

The last of the city of Madison labor contracts, along with an extension of the Alcohol License Density Plan and several alcohol license proposals, were approved at the Common Council meeting Tuesday night.

Council members adopted the final labor agreement between the city and the library pages through Dec. 31, 2012. Library pages work at the branches of the Madison libraries.

The agreement incorporates the wage and benefit provisions currently provided to library pages and a 3 percent wage increase in December 2011.

It was the first contract for the library pages, Jennifer McCulley, Staff Representative for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Council 40, specifically Local 60, said.

""We appreciate City Council doing the right thing by passing the final library pages' contract,"" McCulley said.

The passage of the contract puts all city unions on the same playing field in terms of benefits through the end of 2012, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Verveer said these employees, who joined Local 60 last fall, voluntarily voted to join the union and pay union dues.

Council members also voted in favor of extending the sunset period of the Alcohol License Density Ordinance until July 5. The plan was supposed to sunset this month.

ALDO limits the number of alcohol licenses granted to bars and restaurants around downtown Madison.

Alcohol License Review Committee members requested the extension so they will have additional time to propose changes to the plans.

Council members also adopted several alcohol and entertainment licenses for downtown venues.

Tiki Shack, located on State Street, was approved for an alcohol license granted it follows the Alcohol License Review Committee's conditions such as staying under capacity and serving food during operating hours.

Council members also granted a new alcohol license to Osaka House on State Street as long as food will be served during operation hours.