Board of Estimates approves temporary library location

Six Madison Common Council members unanimously authorized a lease for the temporary relocation of the city's Central Public Library at the Board of Estimates meeting Monday.

The library will move to 316 W. Washington Ave. Sept. 1 while the current building is renovated.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, raised concerns about possible issues with the exterior of the new location based on complaints from his constituents, but said he still supported the temporary facility.

However, Madison Real Estate Services Manager Don Marx told Verveer the major problem, a broken sidewalk in front of the library's temporary location, would be replaced. Marx also said another entrance would be installed to serve as a public entrance to the building.

Marx said those improvements are the landlord's responsibilities.

The temporary location will serve as the Central Public Library for at least 20 months, and the lease can be renewed on a monthly basis after the initial 20-month period until renovations are complete.

Also at the meeting, the board referred a vote on changing the development review process for new construction to its April 11 meeting. Mayor Dave Cieslewicz proposed changing the process after the long debate on expanding the Edgewater Hotel.

Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, said they moved the vote to a later date so Cieslewicz, who could not attend Monday's meeting, could participate in the discussion.

Capitol Neighborhood Development Proposal Review Oversight Committee Chair Peter Ostlind said his experience sitting through meetings on the subject did not bring about any major concerns, but he did see room for improvement in some areas.

""There is really no indication that the system is really broken or that there's major problems that we've got with the development review process,"" Ostlind said. ""It can be better, certainly.""