Baldwin sees hope in activism over budget

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., discussed her thoughts on the budget debates going on at the national and local levels in an interview Saturday with The Daily Cardinal.

Baldwin said she has made many connections between the two debates, and has reached out to her fellow members of Congress to show them the events in Wisconsin. She said she gave a presentation to the Democratic caucus and many were surprised at the magnitude of the protests.

""They were really, I think, bolstered by the fact that this is happening and that people are getting organized elsewhere,"" Baldwin said.

She also said the protests in Wisconsin will have an effect across the country, and has taken on the responsibility of keeping her colleagues informed.

""I also recognize the role I can play in sharing what's happening with my colleagues from around the country, because so many have come up to me and said, ‘If you don't succeed in Wisconsin, my state's next,' in terms of attacking workers' rights,"" Baldwin said.

Baldwin said the protests have already inspired some governors who thought of eliminating collective bargaining rights to pull their proposals because of possible backlash.

""In many ways, we've already won some battles that we may never even take full credit for, which is very inspiring,"" Baldwin said.

She said she has remained in touch with Democratic state legislators, both in the state assembly and state senate. She also said she supports the 14 Democratic senators who fled the state and remain camped out in Illinois to avoid a vote on the budget repair bill.

""They have taken the only action they possibly could to allow the Wisconsin people's voices to be heard,"" Baldwin said. ""For that I am very, very grateful.""

Baldwin said Gov. Scott Walker has not shown leadership throughout the weeks of protests and debate. She said there are ways he could end the uproar that has taken place, but he is choosing not to.

""Real leadership means bringing people with very diverse perspectives together,"" Baldwin said. ""But he's just dug in his heels and that shows to me a lack of leadership.""

She said the main issue with taking away the bargaining rights was the lack of information about that plan when he campaigned.

""He didn't campaign on taking away workers' rights,"" Baldwin said. ""He certainly campaigned on balancing the state budget, so there are many things we could have anticipated, but this is not one of them.""

She said she has many problems with the budget repair bill, including the no-bid sale of state-owned power plants, which she said differs from Wisconsin's history of such sales.

""You don't just pick who your sweetheart is and say, ‘Koch brothers, would you like this power plant? Name your price,'"" Baldwin said. ""That's not the Wisconsin way.""

However, Baldwin said this is an important time in political activism.

""I think that we are at a very special moment where we have the ability right now to demonstrate how impactful it can be,"" Baldwin said. ""It shows that if you use the tools of your democracy you can make change.""