Badgers ride recent success into Big Ten

Karla Powell: Junior Karla Powell, who has started all 24 games for the Badgers this year, leads the team with five home runs and a .588 slugging percentage.

While most headed to warmer climates this spring break to relax, the Wisconsin softball team traveled to California where they went 10-4 over in 14 games over a nine day span.

Wisconsin (15-9) will look to keep the spring break momentum going as they begin Big Ten conference play this weekend with a pair of road games against Penn State (13-11) in University Park, Pa.

Of the Badgers' 10 wins in California, eight of them were consecutive victories, tying a school record. Head coach Yvette Healy was pleased with her team's ability to get crucial late-game hits that made the difference in close games.

""From a statistical standpoint, we pretty much had the same numbers as our opponents over spring break,"" Healy said. ""To come out and win 10 games out of 14, I think it shows that we got a lot of key hits and that the girls were really clutch.""

The Badgers' initial matchup against Penn State on Saturday will be the first game played in PSU's brand new, $10.2 million Nittany Lion Softball Park.

""I think it's more of a challenge for them,"" junior infielder Karla Powell said. ""They have the pressure on them to win the first game in their new stadium. We're just playing for us.""

Wisconsin has lost its past five meetings with Penn State, and the Badgers will need strong offensive performances from outfielder Jennifer Krueger and Powell if they hope to end that streak. Powell leads the team in home runs with five, and Krueger sports the best batting average on the squad at .389. Krueger also holds the record for the longest hitting streak in Wisconsin softball history at 19 games, which she set earlier this season.

""Penn State is historically good,"" Healy said. ""They've got one of the best ERAs in the conference right now, so we know we're really going to have to scratch to put something together offensively against them.""

Penn State has a duo of outstanding starting pitchers in Lisa Akamine and Jackie Hill, who both currently have ERAs below 2.00. Wisconsin will counter with freshman pitcher Cassandra Darrah, who has an ERA of 1.79 and boasts an impressive 10-1 record.

The Badgers were outscored 6-1 in two meetings against the Nittany Lions last season, and with solid pitchers on both sides, this weekend's series looks to be low scoring as well.