UW system stresses working with Walker

UW system leaders undoubtedly watched Gov. Scott Walker's State of the State address with keen interest Tuesday as Walker spoke about possible cuts to the state budget.

UW System Board of Regents President Charles Pruitt and UW System President Kevin P. Reilly issued a statement that stressed working together with the governor and state Legislature to meet state and university goals.

""We are committed to working with Governor Walker and Legislators from both parties to forge a new State/University partnership,"" the statement said.

Such a framework will make it easier for the UW System to attract the best professors and researchers, according to the statement. With Walker set to present his budget to the state Legislature Feb. 22, UW-Madison Chancellor Biddy Martin has been pushing a new partnership with the state to give the university more autonomy.

""Remaining accountable to taxpayers and students, we can find ways to leverage limited resources more efficiently, and contribute more effectively to a brighter Wisconsin future,"" the statement said.

The statement also gave credit to all employees for helping the UW System maintain its high reputation, even as those employees faced a larger student body while making less money.