UW student seen smoking a cigarette in a designated smoking area.

Tough stretch has Badgers looking to right the ship

Coming into last week, the Badger wrestlers were flying high, with only one loss in 11 matches and climbed to No. 3 in the country.  This past week was a tough one for the Badgers wrestling team however, with the Badgers dropping three straight conference matches.

The skid started on January 30, when the Badgers traveled to No. 4 Minnesota.  The dual was close throughout, coming down to the final match.  The Badgers trailed 18-15 heading into the heavyweight match, and had a great chance of tying or winning with No. 11 redshirt senior Eric Bugenhagen taking the mat.  Bugenhagen lost a nail-biter 3-2 to Minnesota's Ben Berhow.  Bugenhagen scored two escapes in the match, but Berhow scored a takedown and an escape in the final period to ultimately come out on top, giving Minnesota a 21-15 victory.  The loss dropped the Badgers to No. 6 nationally. The match was not all for naught as it saw the return of All-American fifth year senior Trevor Brandvold (197 lbs.) to the mat.

The Badgers next match was in the UW Fieldhouse against No. 13 Michigan.  This match was a tough one for the Badgers, who recorded only three victories in the entire match and lost 26-9.  The victories came from No. 3 junior Travis Rutt (184 lbs.),Brandvold and No. 3 redshirt sophomore Tyler Graff (133 lbs.).  

When asked about how Brandvold looked coming off an injury, head coach Barry Davis was very positive.

""Trevor's looked great,"" Davis said. ""I think he's back to his old form, actually better than that.""

The most recent loss came on Sunday at the UW Fieldhouse to No. 24 Purdue.  This was another heart-breakingly close loss for the Badgers.  Despite winning half of the matches, the Badgers were not able to rack up enough bonus points to overcome the pin recorded by Purdue's Camden Eppert against redshirt sophomore Tom Kelliher (125 lbs.) and ended up losing the match 18-16. This match, despite the loss was a bright spot for the Badgers, as No. 8 redshirt sophomore Cole Schmitt (149 lbs.) returned from injury and recorded a 10-5 win.

The Badgers have been dealing with injury problems all year and are still waiting for the return of defending national champion junior Andrew Howe (165 lbs.) from an injury sustained in the first match of Big Ten competition against Illinois.  The fact that the Badgers have stayed in the top 10 all this time with the number of injuries they have sustained throughout the season is simply remarkable. It is a testament to the depth and coaching of the Badger team.  The biggest reason for the Badgers recent slide, however, has been the inability to win close matches.  If the Badgers are going to win the national title, this is something they will have to figure out.

There have been two bright spots in this storm of injuries and close losses, however.  Rutt and Graff have been outstanding this year, each with 23 wins and one loss.

When asked about the success they are having this year, Coach Davis was adamant that it all starts in practice and training.

""[The biggest reason is] the work ethic. The work ethic and mindset.  They're doing a great job in the wrestling room and just letting themselves wrestle,"" Davis said. ""They're doing the little things well and that's the key.  They're just doing things right day in and day out.""

The Badgers hope to rebound off of these close losses as they travel to Evanston for their next dual against Northwestern Feb. 11.