Soglin, Cieslewicz face off in mayoral debate

mayor: Mayoral candidate Paul Soglin will face off against incumbent Dave Cieslewicz for the second time in the mayoral election.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and mayoral candidate Paul Soglin sparred at a Downtown Madison, Inc.-sponsored mayoral forum Thursday morning.

Cieslewicz and Soglin critiqued each other's terms as mayor.

Cieslewicz said he is proud of how the most challenged neighborhoods in Madison, such as Allied Drive, have improved their community programs.

""The thing I'm most proud of is the fact that we have no deeply challenged neighborhoods in the city of Madison,"" Cieslewicz said.

However, Soglin argued there are severe problems facing both the community and individual residents. He said the focus cannon be only on physical projects, but also about community services.

""The stability of our community is in jeopardy,"" Soglin said.

Cieslewicz and Soglin disagreed on the Edgewater Hotel redevelopment, which ran its course through the city committees over the past year.

Cieslewicz said the redeveloped Edgewater will add value to the city of Madison. According to him, the redevelopment of the Edgewater sends a signal that Madison is willing to be aggressive on developments wanted in the city.

""Madison will preserve what we need to, but are open to change and new ideas,"" Cieslewicz said.

However, Soglin argued the central issue of the Edgewater debate is not the added value, but the way it divided the community.

""The issue of the Edgewater is … the way it ripped apart this city, the way it pitted us against one and another in a way even Monona Terrace after 50 years couldn't divide a community,"" Soglin said.

Cieslewicz is seeking to serve a third four-year term. Soglin was mayor from 1973 to 1979 and again from 1989 to 1997.

Soglin said he gets a tremendous satisfaction of getting something right and it would be an honor to be part of the solution as mayor of Madison.

Soglin said his wife told him, ""You're happiest when you're mayor.""

Cieslewicz said despite challenging times, the city of Madison can flourish because it is open to new ideas.

""I want to show the world that the city of Madison can prosper and be successful even under these challenging circumstances,"" Cieslewicz said.