Resnick, Szarzynski advance

Scott Resnick and Kyle Szarzynski will move forward to the April 5 general election in the race for the District 8 seat on Madison's Common Council.

Resnick, president of the State-Langdon Association and recent UW-Madison graduate, won the primary election with 48 percent of the total 424 votes, according to the Dane County Clerk's Office. Szarzynski, a UW-Madison senior, came in second, earning 41 percent of the vote.

UW-Madison alumnus Christian von Preysing-Barry gained 9 percent of the vote.

Resnick said it felt good to win the primary election and wants to keep carrying the momentum into April for the general election.

""I'm going to continue on the same path and focus on strong policies and focus on my qualifications,"" Resnick said.

""The most important thing is to continue to mobilize students to get out to the polls.""

Szarzynski, a former Daily Cardinal columnist, said even though he finished second in the primary, it was a very close race. Szarzynski said both he and Resnick will start off the next part of the campaign from a pretty even spot.

""We came up a little bit short, but definitely not an insurmountable amount,"" Szarzynski said.

Szarzynski said his campaign strategy is sound, but he will work harder and intensify his campaign going into the general election.

""If we do that, there's no reason why we shouldn't come out on top on April 5,"" Szarzynski said.

Von Preysing-Barry, a former Daily Cardinal reporter, said despite not moving forward in the race for a seat on city council, the campaign run was a learning experience. Von Preysing-Barry said he was able to see the real effects of knocking on the doors of potential voters.

Von Preysing-Barry did not endorse either Resnick or Szarzynski, but said he respects their ideas.

""I don't think it's worthwhile,"" von Preysing-Barry said.