Primary to narrow Supreme Court race

Prosser: Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser will defend his seat against three other candidates on February 15.

Primary to narrow Supreme Court race

In one week, Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser will try to defend his seat against three challengers in the primary election.  

The two candidates with the most votes will move on to face each other in the April general election.

Prosser is running for re-election after serving on the Supreme Court for 12 years. Prosser has campaigned mostly on his experience, as he also has served 18 years in the legislature and is a former district attorney. He also describes himself as a judicial conservative.  

""I believe I have earned a reputation as a fair and reasonable justice who will apply the law fairly, not legislate from the bench,"" Prosser said on his website.

Prosser is being challenged by three people form Wisconsin's legal community who all promise independence and impartiality.

Joel Winnig has been an attorney in Madison for the past 33 years and specializes in divorce cases. He promises to be an ""independent candidate"" who will fight for working families. On his website, Winnig said he ""wants to help take control of the Court away from special interests and return it to the people of Wisconsin.""

Assistant Attorney General JoAnne Kloppenburg has worked for the Wisconsin Department of Justice since 1989 and has dealt with many environmental cases. She promises to be independent and impartial in her decisions.

""Supreme Court Justices should not act as advocates for any cause or group, nor as legislators,"" Kloppenburg said on her website. ""Rather, Wisconsin residents deserve to have confidence that judges are impartial and independent decision-makers who apply the law fairly and clearly based on the facts.""

Marla Stephens was a member of the Judicial Council of Wisconsin for 15 years and is currently the director of the state public defender officer's appellate division.

Stephens said on her website she wants to ""move towards a more independent, ethical judiciary with a nonpartisan advocate who reflects our values and not just those of the special interests.""