Plan Commission puts off Mifflin decision

The City of Madison Plan Commission decided Monday to refer a vote on a proposed zoning amendment for West Mifflin Street to their next meeting, scheduled for Feb. 21.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, asked the commission to give interested parties, including the commission itself, more time to review changes developers made in building plans for the proposed apartment complex.

""Frankly, I don't believe that those modifications have been received in a timely fashion for the commission to consider this evening,"" Verveer said.

Prior to that request, students and neighborhood residents pleaded their cases on the issue to the commission. Including the developers, a total of 15 people spoke.

Those arguing against the development included the four creators of the Facebook group, ""Save Mifflin."" Co-creator and UW-Madison student Rachel Klaven touted the popularity of the group.

""We attended the neighborhood meeting on Jan. 24, and after that we decided to make a Facebook group, ‘Save Mifflin,'"" Klaven said. ""We are now over 5,600 people.""

Klaven said although some students may have thought the group centered on the annual block party, the creators have confidence at least 20 percent of the students in the group joined based on opposing the new building project.

The lead developer, Pat McCaughey of McCaughey Properties, wanted to stop talk on social networking sites of a plan to develop the whole street.

""Contrary to Twitter and Facebook, we're not out there to tear down the rest of the block,"" McCaughey said. ""We're not out there to take housing away from other people.""

Much of the argument against the project focused on Mifflin's historical significance as a neighborhood near campus with low rent for students.

""We do not want future individuals pushed out of this area due to prohibitive rent costs,"" UW-Madison student and Facebook group co-creator Adam Milch said.

Most homes' rent range from $400-$600 per month currently. Milch is not confident the new apartments could stay in that range.

McCaughey explained the four-story height of the building, a problem for many of those opposing the development, was necessary and specifically designed to keep rent as low as possible.

""If you build less units, you're going to have to charge more rent on it,"" McCaughey said.

UW-Madison student and Facebook group co-creator Indy Stulka said he and others opposing the apartments do not oppose all development on Mifflin, just development which sets a precedent.

""We actually want development,"" Stulka said. ""We don't see this as a project that sets a good standard for development of the rest of the area.""