Morgridges to speak to grads

John Morgridge: John Morgridge

Morgridges to speak to grads

John and Tashia Morgridge will be the speakers at the UW-Madison Spring Commencement ceremony.

The UW-Madison graduates have used their fortunes made through John's career as CEO of Cisco to give back to their alma mater in the form of over $80 million dollars to fund building projects.

They have helped to fund the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, Grainger Hall and the new Education building, among others.

The Daily Cardinal interviewed Tashia Morgridge via e-mail:

Q: How did you two meet?

A: We started dating as sophomores in high school.

Q: What was the most important lesson you learned at UW?

A: The most important thing we learned while at UW was that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. We also learned that I really loved to teach and that John found business interesting enough to apply to graduate school.  John went right onto the Stanford Graduate School of Business, and I went to Lesley University in Massachusetts several years later for a Masters in Education. John had a successful business career, and I loved my teaching career.

Q: What is your primary message to UW graduates?

A: A message to graduates would be to think about their goals, to enjoy the work they do, and to think about what their Facebook picture will say about them five years from now.

Q: What philosophy drives your acts of charity?

A: Our philanthropy is based to a great degree on our belief that education is the greatest gift.  We support education across a wide range of endeavors from K-12 to graduate fellowships, and to topics as wide ranging as literacy, science, research, and the environment.

Q: What does a UW education offer that you can't get at other schools?

A: The UW-Madison is a research university that is internationally ranked not only for research, but for the quality of the faculty.  Not only that but it was so much fun.  Many of our lifelong friends stem from our days at Madison.

Q: What is a donation you have made that you consider especially rewarding?

A: One of our most rewarding gifts was for the renovation/expansion of the School of Education. The 1900 portion of the building was renewed and updated and the new addition complements the original building.    The new School of Education has been embraced by students, enhanced the working environment for faculty and staff and will inspire future teachers for the next 50 years.

Q: What does public service mean to you?

A: John and I have been interested in Public Service all of our adult lives. Now that we are both retired, we ""work"" full time on philanthropy and public service.  We feel that this nation needs educated citizens who are willing to get involved.  The Morgridge Center for Public Service offers students the opportunity to become informed citizens.