Committee recommends UW Ice Arena

Arena: The new ice arena, to serve as a practice facility, will be connected through an enclosed bridge to the Southeast Recreational Facility.

District 8 candidates debate student safety issues at forum

With a primary election Feb. 15, Madison' 8th  District City Council candidates debated issues affecting students at the Young Progressives of Madison's forum Tuesday.

Candidates Kyle Szarzynski, a former Daily Cardinal columnist, Scott Resnick and Christian von Preysing-Barry discussed ways to enhance student safety and the possible new voter identification law, among other issues.

Von Preysing-Barry, a former Daily Cardinal reporter, said the city has problems with violent crime, but added that he did not want police officers over-populating Madison.

""We can't have a cop sitting on every corner,"" von Preysing-Barry said.

Von Preysing-Barry said the best option was to connect with neighbors. He said he hoped his initiatives would lead to an increase in community concern about safety.

""We need to bring people together and facilitate communication,"" von Preysing-Barry said.

Resnick, president of the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association, said he felt strongly about Common Council involvement in safe city functioning.

""Some proactive housing legislation could go a long way in improving safety on campus,"" Resnick said.

All three candidates said they would connect with students by welcoming open discussion on policy reform.

The candidates said lighting around the UW-Madison campus area was an area of concern as well. All three said they wanted to see more lighting on campus and in general as a way to improve surrounding areas for the safety of students.

The candidates were also unanimous in their condemnation for proposed state legislation that would require photo identification to vote.

They said the new bill would  directly disadvantage students because of new license requirements that ask students to have a driver's license with their campus address. Resnick, Szarzynski and von Preysing-Barry said the bill would ultimately lead to the repression of young voters.