Assembly argues through night

photo

Assembly argues through night

The state Assembly debated amendments to the budget repair bill Tuesday, with Democrats passionately dominating the conversation for hours into the evening.

Despite Democrats' fervor, the Assembly voted down an amendment that would move the bill to the Labor and Workforce Development Committee. As of press time, the Assembly is still on the floor.

The amendment was initially voted down 56 to 39 along party lines except for state Rep. Tom Larson, R-Colfax, who voted with the Democrats. However, later Tuesday night he rescinded his vote. The other amendments are expected to be voted down as well.

Many Democratic lawmakers expressed concern that this bill regarding labor rights was sent to the Joint Finance Committee under the guise of being a fiscal bill.

""I am stunned the greatest rewrite of labor law in the last half-century has not even gone to the labor committee,"" Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, said.

As the debate continued, so did the protest in the Capitol rotunda. ""People are frightened. People are scared,"" state Rep. Fred Kessler, D-Milwaukee, said. ""Walk around and talk to people and look at these people. They are terrified. Their government is taking away their rights. The Wisconsin they know may not be in another week or two.""

State Rep. Tamara Grigsby, D-Milwaukee, criticized Republicans for ignoring the will of the people.

""You put your head down, you play solitaire and you pretend that these people are not real. It's disrespect,"" Grigsby said. ""It's arrogance at its worst and everyone should be ashamed.""

Republican representatives spoke during the floor session. Democrats said that with little response from across the aisle, it was difficult to see the benefits of the bill.

""I would love to be convinced, but I hear nothing!"" said Rep. Janet Bewley, D-Ashland. ""Why is this so great? What Wisconsinites are going to benefit from this?""

Speaker of the Assembly Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, defended the bill, saying it is fiscally necessary for Wisconsin.

""We don't have any options left. We have to balance our budget. It's part of our constitution,"" Fitzgerald said.

Democrats repeatedly said they are willing to make concessions on the budget matters. However, because the Walker administration has not negotiated on the collective bargaining amendment, they said it feels more like an attack on unions.

""You are taking away people's rights,"" Rep. Cory Mason, D-Racine, said. ""If you take away rights, they are going to rise up like they are now.""

State Rep. Sandy Pasch, D-Whitefish Bay, critiqued how the bill would change Medicaid programs and Walker's capacity to make decisions on healthcare.

Pasch quoted Walker as saying states opted into Medicaid and can opt out. ""This is the individual that will determine pretty much who will live and who will die,"" Pasch said.

Although there was little input from the Republican side of the chamber, state Rep. Kevin Petersen, R-Waupaca, noted the Friday deadline Gov. Scott Walker placed for the bill, after which he said he would start to lay 1,500 state workers off.

""When people start losing their jobs, there's one party to blame, and that's the one delaying this vote on the assembly floor,"" Petersen, R-Waupaca, said.

The state Senate also met briefly Tuesday, though they did not have the quorum necessary to take up the budget repair bill. The Senate Committee on Transportation and Elections met to discuss the controversial voter ID bill and ultimately passed it, according to the Associated Press.

State Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, who is currently on the lam in Illinois with the 13 other Democratic state senators, attempted to participate in the debate and vote over the phone, but was prevented from doing so by the elections committee chair, state Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin.