ASM endorses student walkout

In light of the protests taking place at the state Capitol, the Associated Students of Madison endorsed a Student Walkout scheduled for Thursday at 10 a.m.

Some members of ASM said although they were personally in favor of the walkout, it was inappropriate for ASM to endorse any form of academic misconduct.  Other members who were against the walkout said they did not feel comfortable endorsing an action they were not sure their constituents supported.

Former Legislative Affairs Chair Kyle VandenLangenberg said it was ASM's duty to represent all students.

""I don't think it's too much for this body to say, hey, we endorse the idea that the student body wants to participate in the democratic process to show the government down at the other end of State Street that it's not okay to screw with UW-Madison,"" VandenLangenberg said.

VandenLangenberg resigned later at the meeting. ASM President Brandon Williams said VandenLangenberg is currently writing his thesis and could not fully commit to his duties in ASM.

ASM also changed the restriction that only allows student council representatives to serve for two year at the meeting.

The two-year limit was changed so terms served during a representative's freshman year will not count. Additionally, years served during a representative's undergraduate career will not count toward their two-year limit as a graduate student.

Representative Sarah Neibart said this change might keep other students from becoming involved in ASM.

Representative Tyler Junger said that was a small risk, and the changes were necessary to ensure that ASM has the best people working for it.

""Frankly, I don't think we should be kicking excited, intelligent and talented students out of our organization,"" Junger said.

ASM also passed their internal budget and approved funding for Breakin' The Law: The International Festival of Urban Movement.

The festival is the largest breakdancing event in the Midwest, and will be held at Monona Terrace April 20.