Administrators answer New Badger Partnership questions in web chat

Chancellor Biddy Martin, Vice Chancellor of Administration Darrell Bazzell, Dean of Students Lori Berquam and the Director of the Office of Human Resources Bob Lavigna held a live web chat for students and community members to have questions about the New Badger Partnership Thursday.

Participants asked questions about the structure of the board that would govern UW-Madison if it became independent of the UW System.

Several  questions pertained to the fact that the governor would appoint the majority of the members to the board.

Berquam explained the university would appoint 10 people to the board while the governor would appoint 11 at once.

Seven of the governor's 11 appointees would be required to be UW-Madison alumni, according to the draft of the bill.

The panelists said UW-Madison's relationship with the UW System would remain strong.

""We value the collaborative relationships we have with our partners across UW System and those will actively continue,"" Berquam said.

As for tuition, in-state and out-of-state changes have yet to be determined.

Berquam said the New Badger Partnership would not affect reciprocity agreements with Minnesota.

Some teaching assistants are fearful that there we will be a loss of tuition remission due to the loss of collective bargaining rights. However, Lavigna said the proposal would not end tuition remission.

""The university has gone on record as saying that there is nothing in the current proposals that would affect tuition remission,"" Lavigna said.

""The university will remain a public institution,"" said Berquam.

Chancellor Martin said the proposed changes would help in achieving the Wisconsin Idea by generating new industries and more jobs, maintaining an accessible, affordable, public education.