Wisconsin officials threatened after shooting in Arizona

Less than a week after a shooting in Tucson, Ariz. left six dead and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., in critical condition, numerous Wisconsin officials were threatened as well, including  U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., and Gov. Scott Walker.

U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, and State Sens. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, and Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, were also mentioned in the threat, according to the Associated Press.

Johnson said in a statement that the authorities are taking action to address the threat. ""The FBI, Winnebago County Sheriff's Department, Oshkosh Police Department and United States Capitol Police are working diligently to investigate this matter,"" Johnson said. ""I have complete confidence that they will do their jobs to the fullest extent.""

Walker's spokesperson Cullen Werwie declined to comment on the threats.

Wisconsin Senate Chief Clerk Robert Marchant sent a memo to state senators Wednesday alerting them of the threats. ""Be vigilant concerning your own safety and that of your colleagues and our public officials,"" Marchant said.

Marchant also requested that state senators be on the lookout through Google Alerts for Internet postings containing their names.

Lawmakers and officials nationwide have been on high alert since the shooting.

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., said at a press conference the day after the shooting that she is worried about how this will affect the democratic process. ""We're very, very concerned about the impact of this tragedy on what must occur in order to have a functioning democracy,"" Baldwin said. ""Members must feel they can easily interact with their constituents, and constituents must feel they can easily and safely interact with their representative.""

Baldwin, along with Wisconsin lawmakers from both sides of the aisle, including Sensenbrenner and U.S. Reps. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Sean Duffy, R-Wis., showed their support for Giffords. ""Although I have only been a Member of Congress for a short time, I had the pleasure of meeting Congresswoman Giffords on the floor last week and found her to be kind, charming and a committed public servant,"" Duffy said in a statement. ""I will continue to pray for Congresswoman Giffords, her family and the families of all the victims today—that there might be a swift recovery to health and an even swifter administration of justice.""