Renowned Dr. William Clancy returns to UW as sports medicine chair

Dr. William Clancy, who developed ACL and PCL reconstruction techniques now used worldwide, is returning to the UW-Madison community to treat student athletes and serve as the new chair of the sports medicine division at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.

Clancy will oversee 10 doctors who treat injuries and work to improve the performance of athletes of all ages in Wisconsin and northern Illinois.

Clancy, who worked at UW-Madison from 1974-1989, founded the sports medicine program at UW-Madison.

Clancy, former president of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, has treated athletes in the NFL, NBA, NHL, LPGA and PGA Tour. Collectively, Clancy's patients have won more than 20 medals in the Olympic Games and other world championships.

""We are pleased to have Dr. Clancy back on campus and with the sports medicine division,"" UW-Madison Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez said in a statement. ""He is obviously one of the top surgeons in the world. We pride ourselves on being able to give our student-athletes the best medical care possible and Dr. Clancy's presence ensures that.""

—Kayla Johnson