Need student voice in Badger Partnership

There's been a lot of talk about Chancellor Biddy Martin's new financial plans for UW-Madison. The Badger Partnership details ways to increase the UW's flexibility and autonomy by decreasing state support, and therefore, state control. Despite the visionary picture created by Martin's column, ""Bucky in the New Millennium,"" and other selected news updates on the Partnership's website, there are gaping holes in the proposal that should concern students.

The positive aspects of the Badger Partnership can be found in the plan's big picture. In essence, the Partnership seeks a more efficient, business-like structure. With less red tape and more freedom, the university could set market-based tuition and salaries for students and staff.

Unfortunately, this means the Badger Partnership would result in increased tuition rates for students. Insert cringe and uncomfortable shift in your chair.  

Martin offers a consolatory pat on the back by telling us that giving the university more control over the flow of money would result in increased financial aid and staff. The plan aims to strengthen the UW's competitive edge by attracting and keeping prestigious professors through salary increases. Under the Badger Partnership, the university would be able to control campus construction projects, the number of employees, their salaries and buying university goods, like lab supplies.  

Because of Wisconsin's $3 billion budget deficit and Gov. Scott Walker's promises for tax cuts and a smaller government, the UW will undoubtedly continue to face decreases in state funding. In a September letter to the editor, former UW-Madison Business School dean and active president of the UW Foundation, Michael Knetter, analyzed how to maintain ""high quality at good value"" in these tough economic times, and concluded that restructuring the university's business model was necessary. 

It is obvious something needs to change with the way UW-Madison does business, and I commend Chancellor Martin for proposing this plan. The university is one of Wisconsin's biggest employers, as well as a luminary of our state, so it would make sense for the system to run more like a business.    

Yet, this basic sense of the plan, despite the increased tuition, is a blurry picture. The downfalls of the plan lie in the undisclosed and obscure details involving tuition increases for students, privatization, financial aid packages and the state's new role in UW-Madison funding. 

After speaking with ASM Chair Brandon Williams—who has been working closely with the chancellor, dean of students, and legislative liaison—Williams seemed optimistic about the big picture ideals of maintaining a world-class university through this new business model. But, when asked whether ASM supported the proposal, he said there is not enough information provided in the current plan to take a clear stance. 

Indeed, there are not enough details about the plan's effects, which is why I urge students to learn more about the proposal and participate in its creation by attending ASM's forum with Chancellor Martin—a panel of UW administrators and students on Monday, Jan. 24. It is up to inquiring student minds to unveil the specifics of Martin's plan. 

How much will our tuition increase compared to the current rate of inflation? Exactly where will the university's expenses be cut if we break ties with the state? What will UW-Madison's relationship be with the state in the future and will the university maintain the Wisconsin ideal?  With our current economic position, UW-Madison is ranked the 20th best university in the world, so is this plan simply a competition-obsessed plan that would questionably target middle- and upper-class students' tuition? 

These are impertinent questions resulting from the plan's lack of clarity. And it is up to students to demand concrete answers.  

According to the Badger Partnership website, students should view the plan as a positive investment in their future. This may be a possibility. Still, if we are to practice good business sense, we must evaluate our potential investments carefully. As students, we must be involved in the decisions that will affect our school, our state, and our pocketbooks.    

Melissa Grau is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.