Dane County Exec candidates

Redistricting has eliminated the seat of Dane County Supervisor Eileen Bruskewitz, left, seen here at a debate last year among county executive candidates.

Dane County Exec candidates face off in Madison debate

Five candidates for the Dane County Executive race gathered at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Madison Thursday night for the second forum leading up to the April election.

Four Democratic candidates, deputy state Commerce Secretary Zach Brandon, Dane County Board Chairman Scott McDonell, State Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, and former Wisconsin Democratic Party Chairman Joe Wineke, and one Independent, Dane County Board supervisor Eileen Bruskewitz, spoke about issues dealing with transportation, the economy and the Walker administration.

One of the first issues raised was the transportation system in Dane County. McDonell, Parisi, Brandon and Wineke all supported some sort of regional planning in order to improve public transportation, specifically the bus system.

""We can no longer continue to depend on automobiles alone,"" Parisi said. ""We have to have a balanced approach to transportation.""

McDonell and Parisi also criticized Gov. Scott Walker for rejecting high-speed rail and said they hoped that Wisconsin could still obtain it in the near future.

""That was one of the worst moments, when Scott Walker killed that plan,"" McDonell said. ""No one turns down 100 percent match of federal money. That's crazy.""

Bruskewitz was the only one that opposed regional planning, advocating for transportation that serves the people and is environmentally sound.

Each candidate also said Dane County needs to continue supporting the poor and the mentally ill by properly funding the human services section of the budget.

""I truly believe that a society that no longer protects a safety net for people in need is a society that has lost its soul,"" Wineke said.

The debate then shifted to how each candidate would deal with the newly elected governor.

All five candidates promised to work with Walker but said they would not back down on important issues.  

""I'll be willing to work with the governor if he's willing to work with us,"" McDonell said. He admitted though, that many of the governor's ideas worry him. ""He kind of reminds me a little too much of George Bush, Jr.""

Parisi said that he will take a ""realistic and balanced approach"" when dealing with Walker and promised to be ""a passionate advocate for Dane County.""