Top teams collide as UW takes on North Dakota

For years, the rivalry between the Wisconsin and North Dakota men's hockey programs has been one of the best in the game.

With the No. 8 Sioux's recent addition of two extremely talented sisters, however, the women's side of the rivalry could heat up when the No. 2 Badgers travel to Grand Forks, N.D., for a WCHA matchup this weekend.

Jocelyne Lamoureux and Monique Lamoureux-Knolls began their collegiate careers at Minnesota but transferred to North Dakota. After spending last season with the U.S. Olympic team, the sophomore forwards have played with the Sioux this year and are two of the team's most potent offensive threats.

Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson, who coached the twins on Team USA, said they will certainly test the Badger defense this weekend.

""They can beat you one-on-one and have the ability to put the puck in the net with great shots,"" Johnson said. ""Whether you're playing defense or you're one of the forwards on the ice, you get in a battle with them you have to be prepared to make sure you don't get beat.""

""Easier said than done,"" he added.

Jocelyne Lamoureux is second in the WCHA with 10 goals this season, and the sisters have each scored three power play goals. Sophomore defenseman Saige Pacholok said trying to contain them means knowing where they are the moment they step off of the bench.

""We all have to be aware of them on their ice, respect their skill [and] respect their speed,"" Pacholok said.

As for who will back up the defense in trying to defend the Sioux offense, Johnson said although freshman goaltender Alex Rigsby has started each of Wisconsin's last six games the battle is still on between her and sophomore Becca Ruegsegger.

Ruegsegger last saw playing time in the Badgers' 7-5 road loss to Minnesota Nov. 5, when she replaced Rigsby after the first period. Johnson broke with the rotation between the two netminders when he started Rigsby the next night in Minneapolis, and said he did not start Ruegsegger in the series finale against Robert Morris because she ""wasn't in a position to play.""

After Rigsby's win over Minnesota-Duluth last Friday, which Johnson said was her best performance of the year, he went with the hot hand and started Rigsby Sunday.

""She responded, she made a couple of saves in the third period that gave us an opportunity to do what we did at the end,"" Johnson said, referring to Wisconsin's game-tying goal with 25 seconds left in regulation and overtime victory.

Two days after those late heroics helped the Badgers to a win over the No. 3 Bulldogs, however, Wisconsin seemed overwhelmed in their 3-1 loss to Duluth in the series finale. Johnson said the team has to do a better job shortening what he said are lapses in which the team does not click on either side of the puck.

At times those lapses only last a few shifts, but in Sunday's loss—the Badgers' second of the season—Wisconsin seemed to trip over itself for most of the game. If they want to leave North Dakota with some conference points the Badgers will need to shorten or eliminate them, something junior forward Brooke Ammerman said should happen as the season goes on.

""Come March we'll fix those lapses we've been having,"" Ammerman said. ""It's all about learning now.""