SSFC hears student judiciary's, own budget proposals

SSFC: The Student Services Finance Committee heard budget proposals from the Associated Students of Madison Student Judiciary and its? own budget proposals Monday. Decisions will be made Thursday.

The Student Services Finance Committee heard budget proposals for the Associated Students of Madison Student Judiciary and for the SSFC itself Monday.

Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield presented the 2011-'12 SJ budget at $49,470, a decrease from the $52,055 allocated for 2010-2011.

Fifield requested funding for a new public relations position, SJ's ""outreach consultant"" and the maintenance of the judiciary's software and computer funding.

Although some members questioned the software budget allocation, Fifield said it was necessary in case the SJ needed to hold run-off elections.

""We don't need this money every year, but it would be a catastrophe if we needed it and didn't have it,"" Fifield said.

Chair Matt Manes presented SSFC's 2011-'12 budget, requesting $226,997, an increase over this year's $168,346 allocation.

The biggest changes proposed included $12,000 to fund three SSFC Accountability Liaison positions and the creation of a Legal Information Center at $50,000.

According to Manes, SSFC Accountability Liaisons would facilitate biannual audits that would both hold student groups accountable and facilitate a less ""painful"" eligibility application process.

The LIC would replace a former registered student organization to provide legal resources to students through ASM.

""If something bad happens to students on campus and they don't have money for an attorney, they're basically screwed,"" Manes said.

Both the budget for SSFC and SJ will be decided Thursday.