Falk to step down in Dec., serve as interim exec. through April
Dane County Exectutive Kathleen Falk and successor Scott McDonell comment on Falk's pending resignation and the temporary changes that will come into effect thereafter.

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk announced Tuesday that although she will resign from her position Dec. 21, she will be appointed by Dane County Chairman Scott McDonnell to serve as interim county executive from January to April.

Once Falk resigns, McDonnell immediately becomes the acting county executive, giving him the power to appoint an interim country executive. McDonnell said he intends to select Falk, allowing her to keep her position until the April election.

""This accomplishes the goals I laid out when I made my initial announcement,"" Falk said. ""To serve until April to see through a number of important initiatives, ensure a smooth transition of the management of county government and step down in a matter that doesn't require a special election that costs taxpayers.""

Falk originally announced in October that she planned on stepping down in April. However, to avoid holding the special election in the summer instead of the spring, state law requires that she step down by Dec. 28.

""I think this is important that we have continuity in county government at this time. With all the upheaval going on at the capitol right now, there is real concern about what the Walker administration and Republicans will do to Dane County,"" McDonnell said. ""We need consistent leadership here in Dance County.""

McDonnell, who will be running for county executive in April, could have appointed himself to the position. However, McDonnell said he pledged not to appoint himself to the seat because it seemed ""undemocratic.""

County Board Supervisor Analiese Eicher, Dist. 5, who represents most of the UW-Madison, said the decision made by Falk and McDonnell was ""smart and appropriate"" and will provide a smooth transition.

""It allows Scott to campaign for the actual position that he's announced that he's running for and it allows Kathleen to continue doing the good work that she does in the county executive's office,"" Eicher said.

Falk also said that she is not planning on making an endorsement in the upcoming primary election.

Shortly before Falk's announcement, state Rep. Joe Parsi, D-Madison, announced his candidacy for Dane County Executive. McDonell and Verona Mayor Jon Hochkammer are the only other candidates currently in the race.