ASM passes proposed CSF to Rules Committee

The Associated Students of Madison passed the proposed Campus Services Fund to the Rules Committee Wednesday night.

Members of the student government said the move will allow students and ASM members to hold more open, informal discussions about the CSF without putting a specific date on when it needs to be finished.

The CSF is a proposed alternate funding stream that would guarantee funding to ""necessary"" students services decided by Student Council.

Shared Governance Chair Kyle VandenLangenberg disagrees with passing the proposal to the Rules Committee, saying the Rules Committee probably will not accomplish anything since its discussions are informal.

ASM Chair Brandon Williams disagreed with VandenLangenberg, saying it would be easy to set boundaries for Rules Committee meetings.

Williams said Rules Committee will get more accomplished faster than Student Council could.

""Whereas changes come slowly in Student Council, when you have a smaller group of people who are looking hard at specifics you can get change a lot more quickly and ultimately a better proposal,"" he said.

VandenLangenberg said the CSF proposal needs to be revised if implemented at all because it gives ASM too much power.

University Affairs Chair Carl Fergus said the CSF does not give ASM any more power; it just gives that power more structure.

Also at the meeting, Williams talked about a meeting he had with Chancellor Biddy Martin about the Badger Partnership, her proposal to gain more autonomy for the university from other UW schools and the state.

Included in this would be the ability for UW-Madison to set its own tuition, which would be higher than the other four-year schools.

Chancellor Martin said she would want to set tuition at the medium for Big Ten schools, which Williams said was somewhere around $10,000 per semester.

The extra money would go toward more financial aid for students with a greater need.