Walker, Doyle in contentious transition

doyler: The transition between Governor-elect Scott Walker (left) and Gov. Jim Doyle (left) has been heated.

Walker, Doyle in contentious transition

Governor-elect Scott Walker pressured Gov. Jim Doyle to halt or alter his decision-making on projects including health care, state employee labor contracts and the Charter Street Power Plant.

Although Walker wrote in his letter to the Wisconsin Department of Administration Wednesday he was ""confident"" the two administrations would be able to find common ground on his requests, Doyle and made it clear that would not be the case.

Despite Walker's request Doyle moved ahead with making labor contracts with six unions Saturday, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Executive Director of the Wisconsin State Employees Union Marty Beil said in a statement Walker's request signals a ""fundamental disregard for the rule of law.""

""If he wants to fight, we are not afraid to fight. We've been here nearly 80 years. We've seen plenty of politicians come and go and we will see many more come and go,"" Beil said.

Doyle's Secretary of Administration, Daniel Schooff, replied to Walker's letter by offering to inform him on the issues he is asking to takeover during his term.

In his letter, Walker addressed his plan to enter Wisconsin into a lawsuit aiming to opt out of federal healthcare reform, and asked that Doyle not move any further with the implementation of the law.

Schooff pointed out that Walker's plan would require legislation and could not go into effect until 2013.

Walker also asked Doyle to have the Charter Street Power Plant run on natural gas rather than biomass, which Walker said is cheaper and cleaner.

Schooff again noted that the plant will have both natural gas and biomass capabilities.

Walker also included requests for Doyle to not make any permanent hires or new administrative rules in his last two months. Doyle's administration has yet to respond.