UW looks to get healthy, continue power attack

white: Freshman running back James White sprained his left MCL Oct. 23 against Iowa and may not play this weekend. Wisconsin's rushing attack currently ranks second in the Big Ten at 221.4 yards per game.

At times during No. 7 Wisconsin's last two games, victories against defensively stout opponents in Ohio State and Iowa, the Badgers running attack bordered on unstoppable.

The Buckeyes saw had not allowed a 100-yard rusher in 29 games before playing UW, only to leave Madison having allowed 184 bruising yards and three touchdowns. A week later, Iowa's defense gave up 142 yards and three more scores despite allowing just 83.8 rushing yards per game over it's first seven games.

However, if not for a timely week off, the outlook for Wisconsin's power attack might not be so rosy this week. In addition to the regular grind of eight straight weeks and the physicality of OSU and Iowa, freshman running back James White, sophomore center Peter Konz and senior tight end Lance Kendricks each left the Iowa game with injuries.

""It came at a perfect time,"" White said. ""If we would have had a game last week I would have had to sit out for sure. My leg was pretty stiff last week, but it's starting to loosen up now and hopefully I'll be ready by Saturday.""

White said he is not yet running at full speed, and the coaching staff is likely to use caution with their dynamic young running back. So far this season, White is averaging 6.6 yards per carry—the best mark in a unit that is currently averaging 5.2, less than a half-yard off the school record of 5.4, established in 1994.

Those gaudy numbers—and maybe more importantly, the success against Ohio State and Iowa—is thanks in no small part to an offensive line that is firing on all cylinders. In addition to paving the way for UW backs to average 221.4 yards per game, senior left tackle Gabe Carimi has turned in excellent man-to-man performances against two premier defensive ends—Cameron Heyward of OSU and Iowa's Adrian Clayborn. That stretch continues this weekend against Purdue's monster end, senior Ryan Kerrigan.

""Kerrigan is unbelievable,"" Carimi said. ""I think he might be the best in the conference. [He] is a motor guy. He'll keep on driving his legs and moving around and ripping under, twisting his body. He gives unbelievable effort.""

The offensive line should be back at full strength this week after Konz missed the second half in Iowa City due to an ankle injury. He said the week off provided a welcome physical and mental break.

""I was in a little bit of pain with my ankle and overall just kind of feeling the wear,"" Konz said. ""But you just kind of push through it until you can get to that bye week.""

In addition to the improvement in the players' physical health, the bye week also bolstered the Big Ten title hopes for UW.

Though the focus is now squarely on the Boilermakers, Konz admitted that Iowa's victory over Michigan State makes the final month even more interesting.

""It's going to be fun,"" Konz said. ""I love it. I love that we're in the chase. It just puts a little extra something into it.""