Stevenson, Szarzynski formally announce candidacy

CC candidates: UW-Madison students Sam Stevenson and Kyle Szarzynski formally announced their candidacy for Common Council

UW-Madison students and Common Council candidates Sam Stevenson and Kyle Szarzynski outlined their goals for the city of Madison to a gathering of approximately 20 people in the Memorial Union Wednesday.

Stevenson is one of the candidates running for Madison's District 2 seat, which represents the area near the capitol. Current alder Bridget Maniaci said she will run for re-election in the spring.

Szarzynski, a former Daily Cardinal columnist, will be running for the seat representing District 8, which represents a large part of the UW campus. The district's current alder, Bryon Eagon, said he has not decided whether or not he will run for re-election.

Stevenson said if elected he would strive to ""expand community participation and fight for things like community policing.""

Stevenson said one of the main issues with Maniaci is she does not listen to residents in District 2. Stevenson said he thinks the city would respond positively to another young council member.

""I think that older people can have confidence in a younger representative as long as they know that that representative is going to listen what they have to say and act on it,"" Stevenson said.

When asked if his views were ""too far left,"" Szarzynski said he's more focused on the community and less on partisanship.

""Ultimately what I'm interested in are notions of basic decency in our community,"" Szarzynski said. ""I intend to be entirely consistent with that if elected to this Common Council.""