Rep. Robin Vos to co-chair Joint Finance Committee

Incoming state Assembly speaker Jeff Fitzgerald appointed state Rep. Robin Vos, R-Rochester, to co-chair the Joint Finance Committee Tuesday.

Vos will join state Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, in leading the committee in the next legislative session.

""Robin's dedication to empowering private sector job growth will be critical to our success,"" Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Before his election to the Assembly in 2004, Vos served on the Racine County Board of Supervisors and purchased a few businesses he continues to operate.

Vos said in a statement he will be committed to decrease spending and create a more open business environment.

""I look forward to working with Governor [Scott] Walker and my colleagues in both the Assembly and the Senate as we search for innovative ideas to create jobs, decrease government spending and lower the tax burden so that Wisconsin can once again be open for business,"" Vos said.

Current JFC co-chair state Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, told wispolitics.com he would not lobby to stay on the committee in the next session.

Assembly Democrats are also in the process of electing their leaders for the next legislative session.

State Rep. Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, was elected assistant minority leader by the Democratic Caucus Tuesday and acknowledged the challenges Democrats will face over the next two years.

""It will be a difficult session, but I am looking forward to working with my fellow Assembly Democrats to represent the values of our constituents who sent us to Madison to be their voice,"" Seidel said in a statement.

Assembly Democrats also elected Rep. Peter Barca of Kenosha to serve as minority leader.