Overture Center private model moves forward

In a recent change of events, the Common Council Organization Committee decided to go forward with District 19 Ald. Mark Clear's recently proposed plan for  completely private operation of the Overture Center.

Clear's alternative plan said the Overture could have ownership under the private Overture Development Corporation or 201 State Foundation, the proposed non-profit operator of the Overture Center.

In a memo sent Wednesday, Clear said he will offer a substitute resolution that would have the city turn down ownership of the center and instead offer a $2 million annual grant. The $2 million was an estimation of the total cost to the city for an operations subsidy, which would provide financial assistance and long-term maintenance if the city had leased the building to a non-profit organization.

This plan is a complete turnaround from the previous plan of city ownership and private operation, which was a condition of the settlement announced in June. Since then, city officials have held meetings and done research in an attempt to find a solution that works best for eliminating the Overture's remaining $28 million debt.

Madison resident Rosemary Lee spoke in front of the committee and said there were significant flaws in the entire process. Lee said it is a problem that Mayor Dave Cieslewicz appointed the owner of 201 State Foundation to be the chair of the Overture Ad Hoc Committee.

Former mayors Joseph Sensenbrenner and Paul Soglin spent time answering questions from committee members.

Soglin said he would rather have public ownership instead of the private model.

""The community does not feel like it's their building,"" Soglin said.

Sensenbrenner also said he favors public ownership.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, Dist. 2, said committee members should vote for the public model.

""I can't sit here with two distinguished mayors … that want a public model and say we should have a private model,"" Maniaci said.

Ald. Brian Solomon, Dist. 10, said he does not want the private model, but would rather propose changes to the original plan. Solomon said if the private model is chosen and the Overture Center runs into more debt, the city will be the ones who will be there to support the center.

""Timing makes it almost impossible for us to consider a private-private [model],"" Solomon said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, Dist. 4, said the city has ""paralyzed"" those people trying to make the Overture a better place.

""I've been hearing from constituents … ‘Just get it done, keep the doors open,'"" Verveer said.

Ald. Michael Schumacher, Dist. 18, said the city is not responsible for the success of the Overture and he personally would also not feel responsible.

After hours of discussion, Schumacher made a motion to move forward with the private model and suggested the committee members make amendments to the model.

""We are finally taking ownership in the solution … for the first time,"" Schumacher said.

The committee members, with the exception of Ald. Marsha Rummel, Dist. 6, voted in support of a motion which would advance the alternate plans with a process for gathering amendments and bringing those to council for consideration Nov. 30.