East High student arrested for alleged sexual assault

Madison East High School: Madison police took a 15-year-old Madison East High School student into custody Thursday afternoon. The student was tentatively charged with sexual assault.

A Madison East High School student was arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting a fellow student Thursday.

The 15-year-old male suspect was taken into custody and faces charges for first-degree sexual assault, according to a police incident report.

The 15-year-old female victim was walking down a stairway leading to a basement area in East High School with the suspect, police said.

""While still in the stairway, she says she was held against her will and sexually assaulted,"" Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said in a statement.

The victim told police the assault ended when someone opened a hallway door and the suspect left.  The victim then immediately reported the incident to a teacher.

Madison Metropolitan School District Superintendent Daniel Nerad sent out a letter to the parents of East High School students Friday.

According to the letter, East High administrators and the education resource officer are working with Madison Police on the investigation.

East High staff, the district's security coordinator and building services staff will inspect access to all hallways, corridors and stairwells, according to Nerad. Security cameras and building supervision are also under review.

""This incident is deeply disturbing to us,"" Nerad said in a statement.