Detox center may have services reduced

Dane County's detoxification center may have to reduce its services for next year, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, in light of annual deficits and reduced public funding.

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk asked the Human Services Department to study the effectiveness of detox, according to the Wisconsin State Journal. Falk also requested the department look into alternative models for 2012 along with a report due June 1 for the Dane County Board.

The State Journal reported Falk did not suggest any specific alternatives besides perhaps asking UW-Madison to pay for the students brought to the detox center.

The detox center is currently owned by Dane County and operated by Tellurian UCAN, a non-profit agency that provides human services to handle problems such as substance abuse and addiction.

The facility currently operates with a $1.6 million annual budget, with $770,000 from Dane County. The detox center lost $60,657 in 2009, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The detox center is located near the Beltline and John Nolen Drive. According to www.tellurian.org the 30-bed center provides treatment to more than 5000 clients treated per year.