Common Council to tackle Overture Center amendments and proposals

overture center: A third proposed model for the Overture Center was announced last Wednesday. City officials will begin making final decisions for the future of the center Tuesday.

On Tuesday the City Council is expected to make final decisions about the future of the Overture Center. However, in the past week, two city alders have released a new proposed model for the Overture Center. In addition, the city alders proposed amendments for the private model and the center's independent consultant released his final report.

Second Alternative Model Released

Ald. Chris Schmidt, Dist. 11, sent out a memo to the city alders Wednesday proposing a new public authority model for the Overture Center.

Schmidt and Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, Dist. 5, composed a new model where the Madison Cultural Arts District would be the owner and operator of the Overture Center. The model would also establish a commitment for the city to support the center starting at $2 million per year in 2012.

MCAD would assume the current employees of the Overture Center as of Jan. 1, 2012 along with their rights to benefits available from the City of Madison, according to Schmidt's memo.

Staff representative from American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 60 Jennifer McCulley sent an e-mail Wednesday announcing AFSCME Local 60's endorsement of the proposed alternative model.

Schmidt and Bidar-Sielaff's model differs from the current private ownership proposal submitted by Ald. Mark Clear, Disct. 19, which would place the Overture Center under the ownership of the 201 State Foundation.

Alders Submit 21 Amendments

Common Council members submitted 21 amendments to the current private ownership and operation model for the Overture Center last week.

Ald. Thuy Pham-Remmele, Dist. 20, proposed to cut the city's contribution to the Overture Center from $2 million to $1.5 million per year in 2012.

Ald. Julia Kerr, Dist. 13, submitted an amendment, which would require the city to offer Overture Center employees retirement benefits consistent with existing benefits for city employees.

Many other alders including Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, Dist. 12, submitted an amendment stating Overture employees will stay under the current agreement until December 2012, instead of the currently proposed date of December 2011.

Ald. Marsha Rummel, Dist. 6, proposed a substitute resolution, which would establish a city commitment for support of the Overture Center on an interim basis. The support from the city would be dependent on a study, which would assist with ""making recommendations on the future ownership, operation, staffing and financial support"" of the performing arts center.

These amendments will be up for approval at the Common Council meeting Tuesday.

Consultant Releases Final Report

Independent consultant for the Overture Center and Professor of Performing Arts and Arts Administration at Drexel University James Undercofler released his final report for the proposed focus model for the Overture Center Wednesday.

Undercolfer wrote in his report the public ownership and private operator model for the Overture would be the best alternative.

Undercolfer said he suggests a board of 25 people, which would include 21 ""civilians"" and four voting public officials. He also said the mayor would be one of the members of the board.

Additionally Undercolfer said the staffing model for the center is adequate. Although, in regards to labor issues, Undercolfer said there is not one solution that would meet everyone's concerns. He said the solution proposed is ""workable"" and should be allowed to move forward.

Undercolfer will present his final report to city officials at a Common Council discussion meeting Monday at 5:30 p.m.