Badgers split weekend series with rival UMD

Brianna Decker: Brianna Decker scored just 10 seconds into overtime Friday night to lift the Badgers to a win over the Bulldogs

In their series-opening win over No. 3 Minnesota-Duluth, it took 35 seconds for Wisconsin to erase a Bulldog lead and claim victory with a game-winning goal in overtime.

When the teams met once again Sunday afternoon, however, Duluth flipped that script. The Bulldogs tied the game up and scored what proved to be the game winner within 47 seconds, handing the Badgers their second loss of the year and first defeat at home, 3-1.

The split series added another chapter to the rivalry between two of college hockey's best programs. After Friday's 3-2 win, head coach Mark Johnson said the quality of play between the two rivals, who have combined to earn eight national titles in the past decade, is what makes their matchups so exciting.

""Whether we're [in Duluth] or down here, usually whatever team wins leaves the building with a smile on their face because they beat a good team,"" he said. ""It's fun to coach in these games and certainly for the players it's fun to play against this competition.""

Wisconsin earned its Friday victory in dramatic fashion. With freshman goaltender Alex Rigsby pulled for an extra attacker late in the third period, senior forward Meghan Duggan tipped a shot from senior forward Geena Prough past Duluth goaltender Kim Martin with just 25 seconds left in regulation.

""The puck popped out and I was just trying to get it to the net,"" Prough said of her shot. ""I knew someone would have put it away.""

After pushing in the last minute and a half of the third period, the Badger bench seemed full of confidence after scoring the equalizer. Sure enough, just 10 seconds into the extra frame sophomore forward Brianna Decker scored her second goal of the game to seal the Wisconsin victory.

Decker said Duggan's late goal powered the team's successful first shift in overtime.

""We put them on their heels,"" she said. ""Once we had that goal that energy definitely carried over.""

Early in Sunday's contest it appeared as if the Badgers' confidence from Friday would pave the way for a dominant afternoon, as Duggan scored 39 seconds into the first period. But after playing well through most of the first period, the stingy Bulldog defense and a strong performance from Martin frustrated Wisconsin's offensive attack.

In the second period, Duluth's Jamie Kenyon capitalized on a Badger turnover in the neutral zone and scored on the resulting breakaway to tie the game. Forty seven seconds later, a long shot from Jocelyne Larocque snuck past Rigsby and the Bulldogs took the lead for good.

With the loss Wisconsin fell from its place atop the national rankings Monday, and now sits at No. 2 behind Cornell.

Johnson said Sunday his team was simply outplayed after its initial spark.

""Overall for the last 44 minutes they were better than we were,"" he said. ""In the first 16 minutes we were pretty good, but after that we didn't have [many] answers today.""

""They deserved to win,"" Johnson added. ""That's why they're No. 3, they're defending national champions .""