Badgers recover from slow first half, defeat Boilermakers 34-13

Badger Football

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.—Coming off its bye week, No. 7 Wisconsin (4-1 Big Ten, 8-1 overall) turned in a half-full performance in a half-hostile environment, but used three second half interceptions to beat Purdue (2-3, 4-5) 34-13 in West Lafayette, Ind.

The Badger offense struggled mightily from the start, as senior quarterback Scott Tolzien threw an interception in Purdue territory on the opening possession and junior kicker Philip Welch missed a field goal later in the first quarter. For the first half, UW totaled just 126 yards.

Purdue looked on its way to capturing a 14-0 lead in the second quarer, but sophomore linebacker Mike Taylor forced the first of four Purdue turnovers when he stripped Boilermaker wide receiver Antavian Edison after a catch deep in UW territory. Junior cornerback Antonio Fenelus scooped up the ball and returned it 48 yards to the Purdue 27 yard line, setting up a Welch field goal.

The return only started a huge day for Fenelus, who registered two interceptions in the second half, including a pick-six in the fourth quarter that put UW up 34-13 and ended all doubt about the outcome.

""I haven't been in the endzone since high school,"" Fenelus said. ""So that felt really great.""

Freshman Boilermaker quarterback Sean Robinson executed Purdue's spread offense effectively for the first 30 minutes, but each of his three second half interceptions came deep in his own territory. Following the three turnovers aside Fenelus' touchdown, Wisconsin took over in Purdue territory, beginning drives at the Boilermaker 27, 18, 14.

""The scoring percentages when you start getting into that sort of yardage go way up,"" senior left guard John Moffitt said. ""That's what it's all about and the defense really played well today.""

Wisconsin did not have its best day offensively, but outscored Purdue 28-3 in the second half to avoid a catastrophic loss.

Head coach Bret Bielema and his staff planned on being without freshman running back James White, but also lost junior John Clay (leg injury) and sophomore center Peter Konz, who re-aggravated a previous ankle injury.

In the stead of White and Clay, sophomore Montee Ball continued his reemergence in the Badger backfield. The St. Louis, Mo. native carried 21 times for 127 yards and two touchdowns and ran exceptionally well in the second half.

""It's so nice to have three backs that can do that,"" Moffitt said. ""Running the football here is not easy … but Montee definitely stepped up.""

Ball's performance is the second straight road game in which he has been thrust into action, after playing a key part in UW's 31-30 victory over Iowa on Oct. 23.

Despite the distance from Madison, one could almost mistake Ross-Ade Stadium as a Badger-friendly environment. The announced crowd of 45,227 appeared a generous bet and much of the south end of the stadium arrived clad in red.

The Badgers return to action next Saturday in a true home game as they welcome the Indiana Hoosiers to Camp Randall Stadium.