ASM hears concerns, passes internal budget

ASM: The Associated Students of Madison heard complaints from various minority groups about the proposed Campus Services Funds, which the groups fear will cause them to be underrepresented.

The Associated Students of Madison heard complaints about the proposed Campus Services Fund and passed their initial draft of their internal budget Wednesday night.

The meeting began with students from different minority groups saying they feel underrepresented on campus, and feared that the proposed Campus Services Fund would not help this problem.

The fund would allow ASM to allocate funds to student services they think are important. Some smaller groups expressed concern that since they are smaller, they will be ignored.

Williams said he was glad they came to the meeting.

""Obviously students should care, because we're dealing with a $1.1 million budget, and there's lots of things in there that students care about,"" he said.

ASM also debated and passed the initial proposed internal budget plan.

Included in the discussion was debate over the new Government Relations Advisor.

The main functions of this position would be to serve as a lobbyist for ASM at the Capitol and to teach students how to lobby.

The budget for the Government Relations Advisor is currently is drafted at $60,000.

Shared Governance Chair Kyle VandenLangenberg pointed out that this is a low wage for a lobbyist and asked if someone who would work at this price would be able to accomplish what ASM wants.

ASM Chair Brandon Williams said he has faith in the position.

""I think that a lobbyist is crucial to the effectiveness of our legislative abilities,"" he said.

ASM delayed voting on the position until later in the semester so they could make a more informed decision.

Changes made in the internal budget included cutting the Creative Works Fund from $10,000 to $5,000, removing funds for proposed the tenant rating website and changing the Chief of Staff from an hourly waged position to a stipended position.

Also at the meeting, former ASM representative Maxwell Love said ASM is not doing enough to reach out to the student body.

""There's something wrong with outreach if you don't even know what ASM is,"" Love said.