23 students, one teacher held captive at Marinette High by teenage gunman

One teacher and 23 students were held hostage at Marinette High School Monday by a 15-year-old student wielding a handgun. After a standoff that spanned several hours, all 24 hostages were released unharmed and the gunman shot himself, according to police.

According to Marinette Police Chief Jeffrey Skorik, the student held the victims hostage at gunpoint in a classroom.

Police were notified of the crisis just before 4 p.m., although Marinette County Public Information Officer Kathy Frank said the hostages had already been in the classroom for some time before the principal became aware of the situation.

During the emergency, police did not have direct communication with the gunman. All communication was conducted through the teacher.

The gunman initially let five of the hostages free at 7:40 p.m, several hours after the hostage crisis began.

About 20 minutes after the first five hostages were released, police prepared to confront the 15-year-old gunman when three shots were heard from the classroom. As of press time, the gunman is being treated at Bay Area Medical Center and his condition is unknown.

The remaining hostages were evacuated and all of themĀ  emerged uninjured.

Marinette High School will be closed Tuesday, and the school district is organizing counseling for students, faculty and families.