2010 ELECTION GUIDE

Two Milwaukee executives fight for the Governorship:

Scott Walker, R

• Milwaukee County Executive since 2002

• Plans to repeal corporate income tax and eliminate red tape regulations, which he says drive corporations away from Wisconsin, and eliminate wasteful government spending

• He said he plans for the UW System to run more like a businesses and give it more autonomy from the state, similar to what Chancellor Biddy Martin proposed

• He is anti-abortion and supports only adult stem cell research

• Previously denounced Arizona's controversial immigration bill, and has since changed his position

Tom Barrett, D

• Milwaukee Mayor since 2004

• Published a job creation plan including targeted tax cuts to small businesses and funding of infrastructure projects

• He said education is important, but that the state budget deficit is too large to maintain current level of funding

• Barrett is pro-choice and supports both adult and embryonic stem cell research

• Supports clean energy jobs and the state's goal of running 25 percent of Wisconsin's energy use on alternative sources

Newcomer challenges three-term incumbent for his seat in the U.S. Senate:

Ron Johnson, R

• Oshkosh plastics manufacturer

• Says his business experience will be an asset in fixing the economy

• Strongly disagrees with the health-care bill passed earlier this year and plans to repeal it if elected

• Says he would defer to President Obama on foreign policy issues

• Wants to cut government spending and extend the Bush tax cuts

• He is anti-abortion and against same-sex marriage

Russ Feingold, D

• U.S. Senator since 1992

• Supports the health care bill passed earlier this year

• Only senator to vote against the Patriot Act

• Supports a timeline for getting troops out of Afghanistan, and said the threat from Al-Qaeda is a global one that cannot be solved by ground troops

• Helped write  the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)

• Supports same-sex marriage

Republican faces veteran Democrat in traditionally liberal 2nd Congressional District:

Chad Lee, R

• Mount Horeb businessman

• Against government spending and plans to bring fiscal responsibility to the House of Representatives if elected

• Would like to lower taxes on all citizens

• Supports immigration reform, saying the law passed in Arizona this year is a step in the right direction

• Would like to implement term limits for representatives, so they do not lose touch with citizens

Tammy Baldwin, D

• U.S. Congresswoman since 1999

• Strong supporter of health-care bill passed earlier this year

• Supports unlimited federal funding for all types of stem-cell research, believing it will bring important medical advances

• Wants to raise the minimum wage

• Supports reforming state tax laws that affect Wisconsin small businesses and farms

• Pro-choice and supportive of same sex marriage

• Wants to redeploy troops out of Iraq

Two liberals duke it out for the 77th Assembly District:

Brett Hulsey

• Dane County Board Supervisor since 1998

• Advocates for environmental issues, including the creation of green jobs, the use of cleaner energies like biomass and solar, and the cleaning up of Madison's lakes

• Devised a UW Protection Plan which would call for increased investment in the university

• Favors the DREAM Act and providing driving cards for illegal immigrants

• Although he was initially endorsed by current district Rep. Spencer Black, Black said he is reconsidering his vote after Hulsey misquoted him in campaign literature

Ben Manski

• Madison attorney and Green Party activist

• Like Hulsey, Manski is a strong supporter of environmental causes. He advocates for clean energy, green jobs, and an extensive, low impact mass transportation system

• He has been dedicated to student issues since he himself attended UW-Madison. He is proposing ultimately eliminating tuition by increasing taxes on the upper class

• Wants to see all Wisconsin residents receive equal rights under state law, including illegal immigrants

GOP Attorney General's position tested by Democrat promising bipartisanship:

J.B. Van Hollen

• Attorney General since 2007

• Committed to fighting voter fraud

• Takes a hard line against illegal immigrants involved in crime

• Supports the right to bear arms

•Declined to represent Wisconsin in challenges brought against the state's laws on domestic partnerships and stem cell research

• During his term, he worked to update the DNA database, but his office ended up misplacing thousands of records in 2009

Scott Hassett

• Madison trial attorney for 22 years and former Secretary of Department of Natural Resources

• Is a staunch supporter of stem-cell research

• Pledges to put partisanship aside and represent the state no matter what the subject matter may be.

• Said he will enforce environmental laws and hold polluters accountable

• Unlike Van Hollen, he does not believe in immigration enforcement on the state level, as he sees it as a federal issue