Wisconsin looks to end draught against UW-GB

yonga: Freshman Paul Yonga helps anchor a defense that has allowed just 18 goals this year. The defense is a lone bright spot so far for UW.

It has been 46 days since the Wisconsin men's soccer team (1-9-2, 0-2-1 Big Ten) won a game.  It may be fair to say that the team is now in panic mode, if they hadn't already been. As the only team in the conference without a Big Ten win, it is crunch time for the Badgers.

With only six games left before the Big Ten Tournament starts, Wisconsin is looking to finish the season strong by earning a handful of positive results.

Returning home after a thorough thrashing at the hands of Michigan State, the Badgers will host in-state rival UW-Green Bay (7-4-1) at the McClimon Soccer Complex Wednesday night.

Historically, the two teams are evenly matched, with the all-time series tied at 16-16-1. Neither side has had the advantage in recent years either, with the series over the last nine years going 4-4-1. The Phoenix took the victory last season in a 1-0 shutout win when the Badgers traveled to Green Bay.

Having an impressive season, the Phoenix boast one of the nation's top players in senior midfielder J.C. Banks, who ranks among the top 20 in four offensive categories. With eight goals on the season and averaging  0.67 per game, Banks ranks 17th in the nation in both categories. He is also ranked 12th in total points and points per game with 21 and 1.75, respectively.

Aside from Banks, the Phoenix have a number of players who can put the ball away. With three goals and four assists of his own, Green Bay midfielder Tony Walls is also a threat on offense. All together, Green Bay can put 12 different players on the field that have at least one point on the season.

Against a high-powered offense like that of Green Bay, the Badger defense will need to be firing on all cylinders. Having a solid year of their own, the Wisconsin defense has only given up 18 goals this season.

In a game that is shaping up to be a defensive struggle for the Badgers on paper, it will be the ability of the Wisconsin offense to put up points that could be the difference. If the Badgers are able to get on the board first and early, the advantage will turn to them, as Green Bay has only won one game where their opponent has scored the first goal.

In what appears to be an exciting matchup, the Badgers need to leave the field with a win in order to revitalize their season. Looking to enter the Big Ten Tournament with some momentum, Wisconsin needs a win more than ever.