Un-'Earth' this gem

Railroad Earth: Formed in 2001 as an acoustic outfit, Railroad Earth has come to incorporate bluegrass, folk, rock and jam influences into their unique style

Un-'Earth' this gem

Railroad Earth have never been a band to conform to one genre, and their new self-titled album finds them on an eclectic track once again. Blending genres ranging from bluegrass, folk, rock and jam, Railroad Earth defines their unique style.

While the band have built a reputation from their intense live concerts, Railroad Earth is a product of the band's fine-tuned production. This record, their first since they signed to One Haven Music, reveals Railroad Earth to be just as musically impressive in the studio as they are on stage.

Railroad Earth display a new level of vocal excellence throughout the new record. That's not to discredit their previous albums, but the vocal range of lead singer Todd Sheaffer coupled with the band's harmonies reach new heights on Railroad Earth. This newfound vocal emphasis can be heard on ""Long Walk Home,"" as Sheaffer hits amazingly high notes while the band beautifully harmonizes, ""I can not carry this illusion anymore."" 

Their musicianship also seems to be better than ever. On this album, each of the six members gets his own time to shine in contributing to the band's unique sound. On ""Jupiter & the 119,"" Tim Carbone's fiddle makes its way to the forefront. ""Too Much Information,"" however, provides a short bass solo courtesy of Andrew Altman, a recent addition to the band after Johnny Grubb's departure in February.

""Black Elk Speaks"" is a testament to Railroad Earth's ability to blend diverse musical styles. Fueled by distorted electric guitar riffs and solos, this song has much more of a rocky and gritty sound. With huge crescendos and loud lyrics, ""Black Elk Speaks"" must be an absolute thriller live. 

However, the next track, ""Day On the Sand,"" switches gears entirely.  As Sheaffer sings, ""Let me sing you a song / so you'll know where I stand / with my hand in your hand,"" Railroad Earth demonstrate the softer tones they're capable of. Sheaffer's exquisite guitar playing on this track is pretty damn good as well.

""Spring-Heeled Jack"" is an instrumental jam with melodic and syncopated rhythms that clocks in at over 11 minutes. Oftentimes, lengthy jam-oriented songs such as ""Spring-Heeled Jack"" tend to bore their listeners, but that is not the case with this well-crafted jam. With intricate mandolin and fiddle picking, Railroad Earth's musicianship shines the brightest on this track.

Album closer ""Potter's Field"" finds Railroad Earth exploring their blues and folk roots, finally concluding with Sheaffer

With this self-titled album, Railroad Earth produce an incredible compilation of music that takes its listener down a winding road of styles and emotions. Although already well-known in the jam-music scene, Railroad Earth's latest may propel them to success with much larger audiences. More than anything, though, this album encompasses what Railroad Earth is all about: powerful lyrics, fusion of genres and incredible musicianship.