The puck drops here: New year, new faces for Wisconsin

Scott Gudmandson: Senior Scott Gudmandson is one of few significant carry-overs from the 2009-'10 season which saw the Badgers in the NCAA Championship Game

In the most literal sense of the term, the No. 13 Wisconsin men's hockey team will have a new look when it opens its season this weekend against Boston University in the Ice Breaker Tournament this weekend in St. Louis.

After last year's mass exodus of 11 players, the Badgers' roster features 10 freshmen, a least six of whom figure to see regular time on the ice, with more likely to work into the rotation early in the season.

""You try to reload,"" head coach Mike Eaves said. ""We won't know how well we reloaded until we get started again. It's just the way of college hockey because of the avenue of pro hockey, when you have good players, you're going to lose them and you have to reload.""

The Badgers had their top offensive lines from 2009 decimated by the combination of seniors leaving and underclassmen jumping to the professional ranks. To start this year, the top line will feature sophomore Craig Smith at center, with junior Jordy Murray at left wing and freshman Mark Zengerle on the right side. Eaves spoke highly of Zengerle's natural ability with the puck, and said he is looking forward to seeing his young players in a game situation.

""It will give us an honest measure of where we are,"" Eaves said. ""We don't know where we stand right now. Until you match up against somebody else and get in a game situation, that will be the best early measuring stick.""

Wisconsin suffered heavy losses to the defensive unit as well, as Hobey Baker finalist Brendan Smith, Ryan McDonagh and Cody Goloubef all left a year of eligibility on the table to pursue professional careers. Still, Wisconsin returns the point man of its power play in sophomore Justin Schultz, as well as fellow sophomore John Ramage and junior Jake Gardiner.

""I'd say we have one of the best d-corps in the country again,"" senior goaltender Scott Gudmandson said. ""[Ramage, Shultz, and Gardiner] are top-end guys.""

In a reversal from last year, Gudmandson and fellow senior goaltender Brett Bennett stand as the most experienced unit on the team. One thing that likely will not change, though, is the competition between the two for time on the ice. Gudmandson will start Friday, but Eaves said Saturday's starter has not yet been decided.

Gudmandson likely will not have the luxury of a prolific offense this year—the team lost four 50-point scorers—but said he likes the idea of taking a defense-first approach.

""If we're going to be a more defensive-minded team, it might make my job a little easier,"" Gudmandson said. ""Guys are going to be blocking shots and boxing guys out in front, that makes it easier for me, so I'm excited.""

Senior forward and captain Sean Dolan—expected to man the center position on Wisconsin's third line—said the two guys between the pipes will play a vital role in how this young team gets started.

""They're going to be a backbone, and definitely here in the beginning,"" Dolan said. ""We do have 10 freshmen so it is a learning process. It's definitely a huge factor for us to have two seniors [in goal].""