SSFC introduces proposal for funding small student orgs

The Student Service Finance Committee met to discuss the Campus Services Fund section of their proposed budget revision Thursday.

According to SSFC Chair Matt Manes, the purpose of the CSF is to create a mechanism for the Associated Students of Madison to support groups they determine provide ""fundamental"" services to the student body.

""This is something that we of the student government say is so important that we will step in and provide this to the campus,"" Manes said.

Manes said he started drafting the proposal after the SSFC denied the Campus Women's Center funding last year.

""A service that we could possibly consider fundamental is in jeopardy every time they come up for re-eligibility,"" Manes said. ""They submit their application late, and all of the sudden we've lost that service.""

The CSF provides an opportunity for both the ASM and students at large to submit ideas, which an ASM member can then draft into a proposal.

Once a proposal has been submitted, it must be presented to the student council. If it passes ASM, the proposal is resubmitted to the SSFC for a final vote.

The SSFC has the ability to veto an ASM decision, but ASM can override the veto with a two-thirds vote.

Several SSFC members said they were concerned by the lack of student voices on the CSF.

""I think there are enough avenues built into this that any student … can weigh in on this process,"" Manes said. ""At the same time, you elect representatives to represent you.""

Campus Women's Center program coordinator Rae Lymer said she was concerned minority proposals would be ""lost by the wayside"" under the CSF because they would not apply to enough of the student body.

""This isn't a cure-all. There are plenty of other ways through which [minority issues] can be funded,"" Manes said. ""This is specifically addressing that giant, fundamental need.""

The SSFC will continue debate on the CSF Monday before voting whether to send it to ASM for approval.